Monday, October 26, 2009

Q and A with Milan Melindo



The top prospect currently in Boxing’s smallest weight class is Filipino Milan Melindo 19-0(5). Melindo is just 21 and already holds a win over former World champion Mohammed Rachman who was vastly more experienced but Melindo still won a unanimous decision. He trains with one of the current Strawweight world champions WBO ruler Donnie Nietes at the famed ALA gym other gym mates include Z Gorres, Mark Melligan, and AJ Banal. While The Strawweight division doesn’t get much attention it still produces good pro and Melindo may one day be the best Strawweight in the world.

Hello Milan, welcome to 15rounds.com

Hi to 15rounds.com

Anson Wainwright - Firstly congratulations on your recent win over Guadalupe Martinez. What can you tell us about this fight?

Milan Melindo - Thank you very much, Sir! As for my fight against Guadalupe Martinez I would say it is one of the toughest fight I had been into, it was not an easy fight. Martinez is a hard puncher with excellent ability and he is a knock-out artist and he was prepared.

I am happy to have that fight against tough fighter like Martinez because I gain more experience.

Anson Wainwright - Your rated in the top five by all four governing bodies, what way to a world title are you looking to go?

Milan Melindo -Yeah, I am in top five world rating of 4 governing bodies (WBA, WBO, IBF and WBC). With all the hard work in training I am happy that I have been noticed already. For a world title- I am waiting for any opportunity and it depends on my manager. My manager knows when would be the best time for me to shoot for the world title.

Anson Wainwright - How far from a title shot do you think you are?

Milan Melindo -Maybe a year, it depends on my manager.

Anson Wainwright - You won against Muhammad Rachman who is a former world champion with a lot of experience. What can you tell us about that fight and what your learnt from it?

Milan Melindo -Muhammad Rahman is a good veteran boxer and I learned a lot from that fight with him. That was not an easy fight too, I guess I have outpointed him because I am a thinking fighter.

Anson Wainwright - Though the Straw weight division isn’t that popular on a world scene there are several top fighters plying there trade there at the moment what do you think of WBC Oleydong Sithsamerchai WBA Roman Gonzalez WBO Donnie Nietes IBF Raul Garcia?

Milan Melindo -In our weight category , I am willing to face the WBC champion-Oleydong; WBA Roman Gonzalez and IBF Raul Garcia but I can’t fight my stablemate WBO Champion Donnie Nietes. I highly –respect “The Champ”, Donnie Nietes.

But as for the time when to fight for a world title it will depend on my manager. He know what’s best for me.

Anson Wainwright - Can you tell us about your life away from Boxing?

Milan Melindo -Hmmm. My life away from boxing is same with other 21 year old guys… I love to play basketball, billiard too and of course I love to play computer games- “Strategy game”.

Anson Wainwright - Growing up in the Philippines were times hard and how did you get into Boxing?

Milan Melindo -It was my father who likes boxing in fact he bought a pair of boxing gloves. When I was 6 years of age my father train and introduce me to the sport of boxing. Growing up at first I took boxing as a hobby because it was through this sport of boxing I was able to continue my study through a scholarship program. When I graduated high school- I decided to take the sports of boxing seriously to help my family’s financial needs.

Anson Wainwright - The Philippines is a poor country and Manny Pacquiao is giving your people much to cheer about. As a Filipino what can you tell us about the influence Manny has on you and your country?

Milan Melindo -I am very proud to be a Filipino because of Manny Pacquiao. Manny Pacquiao had opened more doors and opportunities for us Filipino boxers to fight abroad. I am proud of him and I am proud to be a Filipino.

Anson Wainwright - What can you tell us about ALA gym? It has a very good reputation around the world.

Milan Melindo -ALA Gym is a very excellent gym in the Philippines. For me, if you wish to be the best boxer and wishes to be a world champion someday. ALA Gym is best place to be. Why I would say so- because ALA Gym is known of it’s good reputation that is a fact and how they handle, train and treat their boxers on it’s unique way. Unique way – because they treat you as part of the family and as a son. The best part to be with ALA gym they teaches you especially Sir ALA the facts of life. I am proud and happy to be part of ALA Gym.

Anson Wainwright - Finally do you have a message for your fans?

Milan Melindo -To all the fans of boxing and to all my fans, thank you very much for all the support and prayers. I hope you will continue to pray and support me and the sports of boxing as a whole. Thank you, thank you, thank you very much!

*source: 15rounds.com

No comments:

Post a Comment